You Had Your Baby WHERE?

Friday, January 18, 2013


I didn't start out wanting a homebirth. I didn't even start out wanting a natural birth. I started out wanting a vaginal birth. That’s all. A chance to experience childbirth like most women experience it. Through my vagina. Weird, huh?

After the birth of my first daughter, via cesarean section (or rather via inducesarean as my friend and fellow VBACer likes to call it), I wasn't sure if I would have any other children. I was ok with that. After all, God had just granted me the greatest blessing I could ever have imagined. There was a long time before when I thought I’d never have that blessing of motherhood at all, so I was filled, fulfilled, content.

The circumstances surrounding the delivery of my first born are not dramatic. It was not an emergency. At the time, I was made to feel like it was my only option. And it probably did get to that point, but the reason it got there was not because my body wasn't doing its job or because my baby couldn't tolerate labor. I am certain that the necessity of my section was a direct result of the unnecessary interventions that I allowed in the hospital. I’m pleading ignorance, but that really doesn't change things. Bottom line is that I could have had a vaginal birth the first time if I had known more about birth. Sad, but true.

That’s not always the case. Some people’s bodies just follow the textbook guidelines without ever having read the textbook. But please be assured, there is in fact a textbook. And if your body veers too far outside the guidelines provided, you will be treated accordingly. I’m sure all of these interventions started out as a way to ensure safety. And I’m sure that in a lot of cases, they do just that. But I’m afraid that in the meantime, doctors and hospitals have come to rely on these interventions as tools of convenience.

I had a healthy baby the first time. Why would I want MORE? Why wouldn't I just do a repeat of the first birth? To me, that question is so ingrained in who I am that it makes it hard to answer. I am just as baffled by the question as those who are asking it are of my desire to do something different. I wanted a vaginal birth the first time. I assumed it would happen. I assumed that the ONLY reason I would not be able to provide that for my baby would be in the case of an emergency. I was wrong. So, it just never crossed my mind to NOT try again.

At my very first OB appointment, I shared that desire with my doctor. I was unprepared for his response. I was naïve going into that discussion. I thought it was going to be as simple as checking the box yes or no: Do you want to try for a vaginal birth this time? Well, sure I do. Instead I got dealt the “dead baby” card. Apparently, it is played often to mothers who want a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) in hopes that they will not bring those “risks” into the hospital. It had the opposite effect on me. It didn't shut me down. It raised tons of questions. I wondered what in the world I was asking for! Surely I would not desire something that would result in a dead baby! Of course I wanted to do what was safest. What mother wouldn't  Didn't ANYONE have VBACs? I was so confused.

So, I started reading. And I started asking questions. And I started looking at research. And I talked to real people who had been there. And I read books and books and books. And I spent a lot of time praying, really praying. And the conclusion that I reached was that what I wanted was NOT crazy. It was completely reasonable and completely SAFE. Maybe inconvenient from a hospital’s perspective, since all births are unpredictable, but not at all a death wish!

So, first I hired a doula, then I fired my OB. And guess what? The 2nd OB was completely supportive! From dead baby to sure thing! How can it be so different from one doctor to another? With a supportive physician on my team, I started asking questions of the hospital and the nurse staff about the policies and protocol. Here’s what I learned on that leg of the journey: even if everyone involved wants you to succeed, “the way things are done” really weigh more in determining the outcome.

I knew I needed the following things in place to have a successful and safe vaginal birth: freedom of movement, peace of mind, minimal interference, as much time as I needed to give birth, and most importantly, I needed supportive people around me who believed I could do it. As it turns out, the hospital where my *very supportive OB practiced was not going to provide all of those things. And as a side note, although completely worthy of a blog post on its own, that particular hospital reported an 85% csection rate in 2011 and a 78% the year before. Again, not something anyone offered to tell me at a prenatal appointment but available information for consumers who want to find it.

As it turns out, my best shot at having a vaginal birth was to have a natural birth. My body was going to need to be able to move and adjust. I realized that in order to maintain mobility, I would have to say no to all mind numbing drugs and an epidural. That was a terrifying thought at first. It slowly turned into a challenge until finally becoming an opportunity.

And then slowly I discovered that my best shot at having a natural birth was to have a homebirth. One of the first real reasons why homebirth sounded like it might be the best option for me was that in order to DECLINE pain relief, you first had to be OFFERED pain relief. I didn't entirely trust myself to decline. No one was going to be able to offer me an epidural at home!

I didn't immediately jump on the homebirth wagon. More like it kept stalking me. Everywhere I turned there was some subtle or not so subtle reference to HOME and the peace that it brings. I “coincidentally” met actual friends who had had homebirths. Red flags were flying everywhere about epidurals and interventions. Friends were joking, “You should just have that baby at home”. And instead of laughing it off, I would imagine what that would be like. Looking back, I am amazed that it took me so long to put it all together. But the beautiful thing about that process what that it unfolded naturally, just like birth! Nobody made the decision for me. I didn't even intend to make it! It wasn't forced. It just unfolded.

I was already well into my 3rd trimester of pregnancy. I couldn't switch care providers AGAIN! (Could I?) The few weeks leading up to that final decision were quiet ones. I spent most of my time just getting really honest with myself. Making sure my motives were in check. Making sure I wasn't going to do this for anyone else. Wondering about all the times I didn't question things and maybe should have. Reflecting on all that women are told to do, because that’s just what’s expected.

The least I could do was TALK to a midwife. That would help me make a decision.

It’s weird the scenes that stick in your mind, but the first time I talked to Norma I was on my way to Kroger. I expected a 5 minute conversation. Instead, I spent 45 minutes in my car in the parking lot talking and listening. She answered ALL of my thousands of questions, never once recommending homebirth. Just answering questions. When we hung up, I realized that she had just spent more time with me in that one conversation than both of my other OBs had through my entire pregnancy. And I didn't owe her a penny. She prayed that I would find some peace, since that was what was most important to my baby. I hung up the phone and was flooded with calm. For the first time since the dead baby card, I felt like I was on solid ground.

My worries turned into excitement. I released all of the fear that I could. When fear would sneak up on me, I would just let it in, then let it right back out. It never stayed long. I knew with every fiber that this is what I was supposed to do. And the amazing thing was that the journey to that level of peace became just as important to me as the birth experience. I think THAT’s what it was all about for me. And I know that I never would have gotten to that place without a homebirth.

Wren was born December 2011, at home, and my world changed. It had been changing all along, but this moment… this I DID IT moment altered the very person that I am. It has changed me in a way that my first birth did not touch. I went from ignorant bystander to active participant. From a set of symptoms to be treated to a biological miracle unfolding.

You can read that story here: (Wren’s birth story)

It’s taken me a while to tell this part of the story. More than a year. I was not traumatized by my first birth experience. It was a slow process, but I came to realize that I had not been given the best chance to do something that I didn't even know was so important to me until later.

And this experience has started translating so beautifully into other areas of my life. Here’s the formula: Something shows up on my radar that “surprises” me. Instead of pushing it aside, I try to think about it. I give it the “greed” test. (Greed = stay far, far away.) I check my fear level. I step over the fear and I settle, knowing that I don’t have to fall in line and do “what’s expected” in order to be worthy. In fact, sometimes what HE expects of me is much different than what the world expects. I’m learning to better distinguish between the two.

Our homebirth was my catalyst event. It changed me in ways I am still discovering. It has empowered me. I regained the power to think for myself in ALL areas, not just the ones where I am already comfortable. I regained confidence in my ability to trust God. I have reclaimed my rightful place as a woman and as a mother. This journey was designed for ME. And it was/is perfect for me. My first birth made me a mother, but my second made me a woman.

And if you STILL don’t understand why I would want this experience in the first place, please read this:


* My friend and fellow VBACer that I mentioned at the beginning of this story was being seen by this same “very supportive” OB. She remained very supportive until the end of her pregnancy. At her LAST appointment before her due date, she started listing the reasons why a csection would probably be the best route to take. It’s called Bait and Switch. Not uncommon, but who would EVER think to question? Luckily, my friend went into labor and stayed at home until she was ready to push. By the time she got to the hospital, all there was time to do was catch a baby!

** I didn't mention Ken in this story, but not because he didn't play an important role. He was completely supportive of my decision and patient with my doubts, questions, and worries. His journey was different, and I can’t tell it for him. But I can say that I learned a lot about his love for me along the way. He gave me space to work it out, just enough challenge to keep me honest, and total respect for my experience.

3 comments to You Had Your Baby WHERE?:

Joedee Robinson said...

100 A++

I'll just copy and paste yours until the homebirth decision. Though I took the same steps in deciding to stay with a hospital birth. Just a different outcome.

Kudos to you fellow WOMAN!

Unknown said...

Both of you are amazing and strong! It was such a privilege to be a part of your successful vbacs.

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you Ivey. Not only for telling the "world" and all of their motives and intentions to shove it, (without every actually haven't to say that out loud) but for following what you knew was right for YOU. God speaks to each of us from a standpoint of already knowing the outcome. He knows the plan. And when we listen, He blesses us beyond measure. I am not only amazed by your strength and wisdom to question "the norm", but for your FAITH to CHALLENGE it. You are a world changer. A freaking faith warrior. I can't say enough. I am so glad you shared your story. I will be sharing this with others. If you don't mind.