Ignorance - Not Always Bliss

Wednesday, July 6, 2011
Friday is the day! Well, Saturday. I’ll explain.

Ken and I played around with the idea of not finding out the sex of this baby. Like, at all. Wait till delivery day. It sounds crazy, I know. But we wanted to see what it might feel like. Here were/are my reasons for that. I honest to God do not have a preference. (I said the same thing with Day but I was lying.) And it is already either a boy or a girl. Us knowing will not change that. Plus, I thought it would be an exercise in personal development for me, THE planner, to just not know. To sit with the wondering for 9 months. So, we tried that idea on for several weeks. We told people we were thinking about NOT finding out, and got some strange looks. Mostly got the question, “WHY???” Well, because we think it might be cool to wait. And be REALLY surprised.

Fast forward a couple of months. Plan A has fallen through. Here are my reasons. I want to nest. I NEED to nest. And let me tell you, gender neutral nursery stuff is NOT as cute as straight up boy or girl nursery stuff. It’s just not. My solution before now was that I would wait until after the baby got here and THEN do a nursery. This confused people even more. Create a nursery WHILE taking care of a newborn??  I must say, it was a little ambitious. Plus, at the very thought of not being able “nest” appropriately, I started re-nesting in Day’s room. Then I started adding up the expense of all of the new and great ideas I had there… curtains, bedding, rug… and I decided I had to reign myself in. And if I’m completely honest, the whole exercise in personal development was already pissing me off. You were right, Mom.

So, here is our compromise. Friday when we go for the ultrasound, we’ll have our technician write down on a piece of paper either BOY or GIRL. SHE will seal that sucker up and we will run to Cindy Watson’s house (neighbor and bakery good maker) as quickly as we can so that we’re not tempted to hold it up to the light. Yes, I’ve already considered on what type of paper and how thick the envelope will need to be to keep me from ruining my OWN surprise. Cindy will make cupcakes, and we'll have our moms over the next day. One of the cupcakes will have a clue in it (blue pacifier, pink safety pin) and just like a king cake… SOMEBODY will get the clue! And we’ll all find out together. Sounds awesome, right?

I’m already second guessing this whole event. How will I react? Do I really not have a preference? What if I cry? I know I will cry. What if I act like a freak? I’ll probably act like a freak. Then what if other people react in some weird way… like I want them to be more excited? Will I be able to tell who got their wish and who didn’t? Will I have disappointed anyone?

I know. Nobody asked to get that far into my head. I apologize. It’s not always that cluttered. I’m just so ready to check this box and move on. Start nesting appropriately. Start naming this baby. Start visualizing how it will all be…

And I really, really, don’t have a preference. I win either way.



5 comments to Ignorance - Not Always Bliss:

Joedee Robinson said...

Hilarious. I completely get it, as you know. I've considered letting the tech tell Jonas and then he can tell me in the car just in case I freak out. Why would I? I don't know. But as I recall, seeing that baby on the screen makes it not matter so much. Of course, I did not/would not give you crazy looks if you wanted to wait. I actually think that's kind of a fun idea. But, I too am a planner and need to visualize. Can't believe you're making me wait until Saturday! ;)

karenchenoa said...

i think i would enjoy finding out in a creative way like the cupcakes. i think that i might enjoy finding out with my spouse in a creative way beforehand, and then invite the moms over to find out the same way. that way, i get surprised special and i can unleash the crazy as it comes... as for them reacting one way or another... i think after you've had time to react, you'll be more receptive to their reactions. maybe?

karenchenoa said...

ps. i'll spoil the surprise.
IT's A GIRL!!

Joedee Robinson said...

I'm thinking girl too Karen. But, I'm seriously ALWAYS wrong. The one time I was right...I ended up being wrong as a late u/s revealed otherwise. Sigh. So, yay for a boy Ivey! Zeke, right?

Andlee said...

ok, so i'm old school. yes, i'm old and of a different generation. ultrasound? ha! that was something scary in the day and only used when there might be a problem. we waited and fretted and survived till the surprise. it's a surprise either way, right? it's just have it now or have it later. it's cool you have the choice, and the surprise is delicious whenever it comes. benjamin craig could have been emily paige, and we would have been just as happy. just as i know you will be, whenever the surprise comes, and no matter what, kids are "Surprise!" personified and forever.